Friday, August 18, 2006

Friday Conversation With Crystal Jordan

Bebe: First things first, tell us a little about yourself.

Crystal: I was born and raised in California, but for the last few years I've lived and worked in Indiana, Tennesse and Kentucky. Talk about culture shock! I'm a university librarian and when I started my first "real" job, I found I had all this time that used to be eaten up by homework and assigned readings. So, I started writing as a hobby. Now, it's a second career for me and I love every minute of it. Even when I want to throttle my stubborn characters.

Bebe: Besides author, what is your dream job?

Crystal: World explorer. In fact, my critique partner and I wrote a book about explorers that we just sold to Cobblestone Press, called Finding Paradise.

Bebe: Your e-book Full Swing is out today with Cobblestone Press. Tell us a little bit about the story.

Crystal: Full Swing is a reunion story about a husband and wife who are struggling with their marriage and split up, but circumstances bring them back together and they decide to give their marriage a second chance. I absolutely fell in love with these characters because they're so different and very strong in their own ways (and stubborn, I always get the stubborn ones).

Here's the official blurb: Pro-golfer Jill Brandon's life and marriage changes when her Army Ranger husband is injured. It takes a painful separation and a brush with danger for Tyler to realize what he's lost. He's determined to bring their marriage full swing. He's always done his best convincing in the bedroom. Will it be enough?

Bebe: What made you write about golf?

Crystal: I wrote about golf because I wanted to write a book where the heroine, rather than the hero, was a professional athlete. Usually it's the hero who's a football player or baseball player and I wanted to change it up a bit. The only sport I knew enough about to write was golf. So, Jill was born, the Tiger Woods of the LPGA tour.

Bebe: Sounds great! Are you a golfer?

Crystal: I played on the varsity girls' golf team in high school. I really love to watch golf, but I haven't played since I was 18. I don't even want to know what my handicap is now. Yikes!


Bebe: What kind of books do you like to read?

Crystal: I like romance, young adult, chick-lit, science-fiction, and fantasy.

Bebe: Who are your favorite authors?

Crystal: Favorite authors? Sheesh, do you have all day? To name a VERY few: Suzanne Brockmann, Linda Howard, Elizabeth Moon, JRR Tolkien (duh), Jax Abbott, Gena Showalter, Robin D. Owens, Elizabeth Hayden, Robin Hobb, Jaci Burton and Angela Knight.

Wow, I know I'm forgetting some of them.

Bebe: Are you working on a project now? Tell us about it.

Crystal: I'm working on my first dark paranormal novella called Revenant. It's about a woman who thinks she's insane because she can see and speak to people no one else can. It turns out she's talking to ghosts, or revenants, and if she doesn't learn to harness her abilities soon, she going to end up dead. My hero is a cranky revenant who's been hanging around for a few centuries.

Bebe: What do you do to kick back and relax?

Crystal: I go out to dinner with friends and talk about anything but work or writing. We have two rules: eat when your food shows up, don't wait for everyone's food to show up; and no talking about work of any kind.

Bebe: Speaking of food, do you know where can I find the perfect egg roll?

Crystal: The very best egg rolls can be found in this little hole-in-the-wall resturant in Sacramento, California. I can't even remember what it's called, The Golden Lion or something. But the egg rolls are perfect, crunchy and gold on the outside, soft and flavorful on the inside.

Bebe: Mmmm. Yummy.

Crystal: Okay, now I'm hungry.

Bebe: I’m glad you could stop by to chat, Crystal. I can’t wait to read Full Swing!

Crystal: Thanks, Bebe!


Learn more about Crystal at her website or blog!

Posted by Bebe :: 12:25 AM :: 3 Comments:

Post / Read Comments